|Split Black Gram (Urad daal)||2 cups|
|Water||about 1 cup for grinding|
|1-2 chopped fine|
|Raisin, Cashews|| ||2 tbsp, mixed, finely chopped (optional)|
|Oil||for deep frying|
|Yogurt||as needed well beaten|
Water or Milk
| ||as needed, to thin yogurt|
Roasted Cumin powder,
|for garnish, as needed|
|Red Chilli powder||for garnish, as needed|
|Black salt/Kala namak|| ||for garnish, as needed|
|Green Chutney||to taste|
|Tamarind Chutney||to taste|
|Cilantro/ Mint||finely chopped, for garnishing|
1. Wash and soak Urad Daal for minimum of 4-6 hrs or overnight. Drain off all of the water and grind daal in a blender using about 1 cup of water.
2. Remove batter into a bowl and add asafoetida and chilli nuts and ginger. Whip the batter with a spoon or hands to make it light and fluffy. Test in little water. When you drop a pea sized amount of batter in a bowl of water, it should spring back on top immediately. If it comes up slowly, or sinks, then you need to whip more.
3. Heat about 1/2 inch oil in a flat pan on medium heat. To check if oil is ready put a little batter into the oil, oil will sizzle and batter should start coming up slowly without changing color. Place about 1 tablespoon of batter into the oil.
4. Allow the vadas to fry until golden brown on one side and then flip to the other side and cook again. Fry in batches.
5. Remove the vadas onto a paper towel lined plate and let them cool for a few minutes. Take a medium bowl filled with water and add a little salt and cumin powder to it.
6. Drop the vadas into the water and allow them to soak for about 20-30 minutes.
7. Remove the vadas and gently press them in your palms to squeeze out the water. Place squeezed vada as needed into a serving platter or dish.
8. Add enough water or milk to yogurt to make it pouring consistency. Pour yogurt over the vadas to completely coat and submerge them. Sprinkle Kala namak, Roasted Cumin Powder, Red Chili Powder to taste over the yogurt.
9. Top with Coriander or Mint Chutney and Tamarind Chutney.
10. Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves. Serve immediately. Keep the leftover vadas refrigerated. ENJOY!